In the final piece about the first movemeon strategy event, we show you the advice that was most useful according to our audience members. Thank you to everyone that sent us their feedback – if you didn’t get the chance, you can still let us know what you thought here.
- A consulting to industry move is a doable, natural career progression. However, it does come with its own challenges: keep working at it and ask for promotions.
- Don’t be afraid of Plan A.
- Have in mind what your ultimate goal is, but accept that there may be multiple steps to get there (and various possible paths). Think about how each step is getting you closer to the goal, what skills you can build/demonstrate, what connections you can make, what exposure you can get with senior management. And make sure there are enough elements of the role that you enjoy, as it is very difficult to shine if you are not passionate about at least some aspects of your role.
- Think strategically of where you have a competitive advantage, where you can stand out – for example, an industry where you combine technical/specialist expertise and broader consulting skills, a sector/company/division that is generally considered “less cool” or smaller, where competition will be less fierce.
- Discuss your aspirations very openly with your hiring manager. You may not be ready to have P&L responsibilities now, but you can jointly set a plan of how you can build and get the opportunity to demonstrate the required skills.
- To move into a more general role, insist on a job title that will help, prove you can help with some projects, and aim for the smallest division.
- Don’t try to be the smartest guy in the room, try to ask the best question.
- If you have a skills gap, ask potential future managers how you can bridge the gap today. What should you read and study?
- You need to take risks to get rewards in your career.
Looking for more on consulting exits?
Movemeon: jobs, insight, events and career tips for (ex-)consultants, accountants and freelancers. Click here to create a free account and access all our opportunities. "I came from consulting and I can’t express how much I’ve learnt and grown since working with the...
Historically, management consultants were available only to rich corporations. In the past year we’ve noticed an increasing number of start-ups interested in having an external perspective, or bringing in specific freelance skills. They are increasingly turning to hiring freelancers as a way to access these benefits without having to pay the very expensive consulting fees.
The movemeon platform is designed to make it as easy as possible to discover relevant job opportunities. So we use machine learning algorithms to help our platform learn which jobs you are interested in, and which jobs it should show you. Don’t worry, you can also manually change what you are interested in!