Movemeon provides jobs, insight, advice and career tips for an exclusive community of consultants, ex-consultants, accountants and freelancers. Click here to create a free account and stay up-to-date with our opportunities and advice.
Finding a job that excites you, one that you love so much you don’t even notice you are working – it’s the dream, isn’t it? But every week we hear from candidates who are unclear what they want to do next. At least, that’s what they say. We think you know more than you realise. We have a really good overview of the “1st, 2nd & 3rd job move market”, so can offer some reasonably informed impartial advice.
It’s probably not the case that you have absolutely no idea what you want to do next. Quite often, in fact, it’s more accurate to say that you know what you would like to do, but don’t know how to find/land that job. Or you lack the confidence to go after it.
Here’s what we find ourselves saying….
What often helps is to ask yourself a series of questions designed to narrow down your options (perhaps we should patent this!). This way you can figure out what kind of job excites you:
- Do I want to stay doing the job I’m doing now? (answer: probably not or maybe even hell, no!)
- Are there aspects of my job that I enjoy? If so what are they?
- What aspects of my job do I dislike (and want to avoid in my next job)?
- What’s more important to me: the company I work for or the people I work with?
- What size of company attracts me? (think of a scale from 1-2 man band start-up, through rapidly growing new company (e.g., ~25-100 people), to SME, to MegaCorp).
Often the answer to these questions is dictated by the answer to:
- How much support/hand-holding do I need to feel comfortable? By this stage, you should know what kind of job, in what size and feel of company you are after.
- Does ‘sector’ matter to me (i.e., retail, online, oil & gas)?
- If so, how much (i.e., is it enough to be “consumer facing” or do you need to work on something really specific like high-end cycle clothing)?
- Can I work for a company related to one of my passions?
- Do I know/am I connected to someone who works for a company/has a job type that really excites me? If so, could I work for the same company (could they even intro me)? Or can I discover similar jobs at other companies?
- Does location matter to me? Where do I want to be?
- Which companies of this size, sector and location are growing fast….and therefore likely to be hiring (The Times tracks the fastest growing companies by category every year)?
- Do they have any suitable jobs on their websites? If not, is there an email address to which I can send a cover letter and CV?
- Can anyone in my network help/introduce me? (The answer to this is almost always “yes” and you’ll be surprised at the intros your friends and colleagues can give you.)
If you’ve answered all these questions, you should have been able to come up with a list of target companies. Now you can take the satisfying, positive steps of getting in touch with all those companies. Perhaps their roles are already on movemeon! It’s time to land that job that excites you!
Like our advice? Hear even more at one of our events:
More & more professionals feel they want to do something worthwhile with their career, but are not sure about how to make the shift. Find out at this event.
At our 1st boutique consulting event with Hunch, CIL, 2020 & Advancy, we heard exclusive perspectives on the unique features of boutiques – read them here
On 22nd June 2017 LoveCrafts & Trouva joined movemeon to answer questions about the challenges of launching your own business. The consultant turned founder speakers gave advice on recruitment, raising funding and finding the right co-founder(s)